Saturday, December 13, 2014

Phoenix, New York Central School District - the 1955 Phoenician

The 1955 Phoenician from JCB High School in Phoenix, NY - submitted by Charles Beams (12/13/2014)

See notes in headers over sections and in the comments section at the bottom of the page about the copying methods used and personal observations.

The cover...




The first year in a brand new school...



Dedication - Miss Mary Crisafulli...



The newly completed JCB High School...



The Board of Education with a bio on each board member...



Mr. Birdlebough...



A bio on Miss Aura A Cole - could that be correct? She was in her 39th year as District Superintendent?  And Harry H Howe : Vice-Principal



Faculty - because the photos were small and text even smaller, I cropped these pages into smaller bits...

















Candid photos...



Seniors...





























Senior class superlatives...



Senior class history...









Senior class prophesy...











Good citizens...



Candid photos...



Underclasses...














Underclass superlatives...



Junior high classes...











Sports...















Music program...





Activities, clubs, etc. ...









Candid photos...



Staff...





Candid photos...











And a few of the ads...





2 comments:

  1. These yearbooks all have their own personality and they can be difficult to capture into photocopies. During one trip to the Phoenix Public Library I hand scanned a good number of the pages - only to find that, because of the bulge in the binding, the scans were yellowed or incomplete. You'll see some trace of this in a few of the pages I kept from the scanning.

    A second trip to the library and I photographed all of the unusable pages. Because I don't have a camera stand for photocopying books, I have to take the photos freehand and do a lot of editing. In some cases, I have to hold the pages flat and then edit out my finger tips from the photos.

    It's a challenge, but rather fun as well. I hope you enjoy.

    Chuck Beams

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few things I noted in this yearbook. This was the first year in the new Phoenix Junior-Senior High School, not named JCB, I would guess.

    I didn't know as many students in this senior class as I did in the 1954 group - but the one who stood out was Robert Dix. Robert returned to the district to teach for a number of years and was the baseball coach for many years.

    I am intrigued by the bio for Aura A Cole - she became district superintendent in 1916 and was still district superintendent in 1955 - that's 39 years. I had no idea!

    That's all for now - I might edit these comments later if some thought occurs to me.

    Charles Beams

    ReplyDelete