Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Phoenix, New York Central School District - the 1954 Phoenician

Submitted by Charles Beams (12/9/2014)

Selected scans from the 1954 Phoenician.

The cover...





The growing school district.



Dedication to Huddee Herrick...



In memoriam  - Sam Corson, and in appreciation to Mr. Birdlebough...



Yearbook staff - and you've got to appreciate the adding machine...



Building the new high school...



Board of Education: Charles Downs, Mrs. Emerson Dillon, Hilliard Cook, William McClatchie, Jack Luke, Arthur Ward, Elijah Henderson, William Hilborn, Doris Allanson, Wayne Huntley, lewis Olmstead.

And how interesting to note that Miss Aura Cole, District Superintendent sat in for the school board photo.


 Administration and staff...



Faculty. Photos close to page edges and small type finally forced me to photograph these pages. I then cropped each page into two parts for easier viewing. Type is still difficult to read.












Candid photos.



And the senior class...































Candid photos...









Candid photos...



Juniors...

Sophomores...


Freshmen...


Superlatives...



Candid photos...



Basketball...



 
Football...





The lunch room...



Candid photos...



Senior Chorus...


Yorkers groups...


A few sample advertisements...



2 comments:

  1. Some names here I begin to recognize - Jim Dillon for starters - I assume this is the son of Dr. Dillon (EJD) who later became a NYS Trooper and was shot and killed during a routine traffic stop? As I recall the story, he pulled a car over for speeding, not knowing that the guys inside had just committed a robbery. As Jim walked up to the car, they shot and killed him.

    And it notes in his bio in his senior photo that his favorite subject was June. I presume this refers to fellow classmate June Nelson? June Dillon who has devoted so much of her time to the schools and the children of Phoenix? Truly, both iconic symbols for the village.

    I was in the faculty room the day the troopers came to school - they came in for a break while they waited for young Jimmy to be called out of class so they could take him home following the shooting. I still get misty over how that must have been. I had had Kathy (older sister) in class and she was a very special person herself. I sincerely hope the kids are doing well.

    At least, that is how my memory recalls it all.

    Charles Beams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another face familiar to me - James Remington - married to Esther Remington with 4 incredible girls? Esther and Jim became a big part of our family when Esther became baby sitter for our daughter. They accepted Amy into the family just like she was one of her own.

    And then there is Dick Caines - a neighbor of our ours for many years until he and his wife, Ada, moved out. Just as it said in Dick's bio, he remained a true lover of the outdoors. I can remember not so many years ago when he called the neighborhood kids over to his yard to see a baby skunk that he'd gotten hold of.

    I see Carl Dimon in these pages - again I make assumptions, but there's enough resemblance there to assume that this Carl worked in EJD for quite a few years? A really terrific guy.

    I see some other family names I recognize, but can't put them together with any people I know. But my memory is fading.

    ReplyDelete